Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Fairfield: No-Sew Puffy Owl Banner in Celebration of 80 Years!

Fairfield is celebrating its 80th year in 2020. To commemorate, they are hosting 80 Days of Poly-Fil Projects! So cool! They've invited me and fellow designers/bloggers/DIYers to create projects featuring their popular Poly-Fil® products.

**I receive products from Fairfield Processing Corp., Spellbinders® Paper Arts, and Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® for use in my projects. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience and doing so I can share what I personally love to use.**

Although I do not sew, I can whip up a mean project with Poly-Fil®! LOL! Combining my paper crafting passion, I accepted the challenge and came up with a No-Sew Puffy Owl Banner. I love how it turned out - don't you? Let me show you how to create one.


Puffy Owl Step Outs

For the owl base, die-cut four owl shapes from cardstock and felt with the Who's There Steel Rule Die.

Designer Tip: When die-cutting soft felt, I cut with a sheet of printer paper. By doing this, I find I get a cleaner cut. I did this the first time and then switched to black cardstock which I used for the back of my banner. Kills two birds (no pun intended - lol!) with one stone! :)

Apply on the back of the black cardstock owl shape with Adhesive Sheet. Make sure to burnish well with the round end of a bone folder to transfer the adhesive to the cardstock. Peel back the liner and take out the owl shape for the next step.



Next, apply Extreme Double-Sided Tape 1/8" to the edge of the owl die cut over the adhesive sheet area.

Next, add a thin layer of Poly-Fil® on top of the adhesive sheet area. Then remove the Extreme Double-Sided Tape 1/8".

Take the felt owl shape and stretch the material a little before placing it on the top of the owl cardstock. Press the edges together to create one shape. Trim any excess adhesive or filler. Repeat three more times to make your banner.

Banner Details

With the 3D Foam Creative Sheet Small in Black, die-cut letters (Gwen) from the Type-Oh Steel Rule Die.

Use the letter die cuts as a guide to determine placement and adhere the wings and feet pieces with Adhesive Lines (the wings) and Adhesive Dots Small (the feet). 

Designer Tip: carefully heat up the adhesives to secure to felt (think glue gun). If aimed too long, the felt will shrink or deform (don't ask - lol!).

Then place the letter in the center of each owl shape. Remove the top liner and place a piece of foil on top with COLOR SIDE UP. Rub the foil with fingertips to transfer the foil. Reapply foil in missed areas.

Let's make the loops in the back to thread the twine through and display the banner. To achieve this, cut four 1.25 x 2-inch rectangles from black cardstock. Simply secure with the E-Z Runner Grand Ultra Strong adhesive.

To accent my twine, I had wood slices I wanted to add between each owl. After I placed a small 3D Foam Heart on each slice, on the back, I placed an Adhesive Dot 3D to secure to the twine. Covered it With a felt circle (part of the die set) so it won't scratch the wall.

There you have it! A puffy owl banner to display (in this case) in Gwen's room!

Did you enjoy this project? I hope you follow my blog for more or my ILscraps Instagram!

As always, thanks for stopping in!
MargieH

Skill Level: Intermediate
Creative Time: 50 minutes

Materials Needed:
Filling: Fairfield (Poly-Fil®)
Craft Dies and Die-Cutting Machine: Spellbinders® Paper Arts (Who's There - ret. and Type Oh Contour Steel Rule Die and Platinum Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine); Wood Slices: Ideology (Tim Holtz); Adhesives: Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L (Adhesive Sheets 4 x6-inch, 3D Foam Creative Sheets Small in Black, Adhesive Dots Small, Adhesive Lines, E-Z Runner Ultra Strong, Adhesive Dots 3D, Extreme Double-Sided Tape 1/8in., 3D Foam Hearts, Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets in Holographic)
Other: Black, Grey, Brown, and Dark Brown Felt; Scissors; Black Cardstock; Twine; Bone Folder


Pin It!



1 comment:

Verna Angerhofer said...

That is such a cute idea for a banner.