Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Gel Press: Patriotic Tags Trio Tutorial


More and more I see makers using the gel presses to create beautiful projects in the paper crafting world (think mono-printing plate). I was at a consumer show last month where I met/saw Sally Lynn McDonald from Gel Press® by PolyGel® showcasing their plates. I was intrigued :) AND it didn't help that she was demo-ing right next to me! LOL!!!


So what did I do? I bought one! LOL! The one I purchased was the 8 x 10" Plate - perfect for art journaling and for card making. They also have other sizes from 12 x 14" to petite sizes (click Featured Products for size information). This is what I ended up making...


I started with two colors of Testors Craft® Acrylic 2 oz. Craft Paints in Stop Sign (red) and Island Breeze (blue) both in matte finish. You just need a little and a brayer to spread the colors across - just enough to cover my tags.


For one tag, I just press down for a trio color look. The second one, after I rolled on color, I drew my texture card across to make strips. The third, I pressed excess paint from the other two and make a tie-dyed background. I love each one of them :)



To create my fireworks design (the tie-dyed background tag), I cut Make a Wish die, trimmed off the stem and colored with red glitter. I repeated for the blue one. This idea was inspired by my talented friend Debi Adams (thanks Debi xo)!!


For "USA" I cut Font One Uppercase with 3D Foam Creative Sheets (cuts like butter!) and took off the top liner to rub Pigment Powder Gold for shimmer. Then I centered the letters on the tag by taking off the back liner. SO EASY!


Used Dodz Adhesives Dots Small to make those fireworks stick! Love that the adhesive dots have liners...so much easier to handle and no tearing of my die cuts.


For my stars and stripes tag, I used a bunch of 3D Foam Stars all over and colored them using a combination of Pigment Powder Gold and Blue.


The Happy Birthday tag, I placed patterned paper on top of a piece of 3D Creative Foam Sheet (after removing the top liner). Then put the die on top covered foam sheet to cut with a manual die cutting machine.


I used the America the Beautiful die to cut patterned paper and applied adhesive on the back using Adhesive Sheets 4 x 6". You can also apply the adhesive sheet on the back of the patterned paper and die-cut (won't damage the die).


After I assembled the pieces, I stamped the sentiments and added sequins with Dodz Adhesive Dots Small to the tag. Here's another look at each one...




I hope you enjoyed my process and thanks for sticking with me till the end - LOL!!
MargieH

Supplies:
Gel Press® by PolyGel®: 8 x 10" Plate
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®: 3D Foam Stars, 3D Foam Creative Sheets, Adhesive Sheets 4 x 6" and Dodz Adhesive Dots Small
Donna Salazar with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®: Pigment Powder Gold and Pigment Powder Blue
Testors Corp: Acrylic 2 oz. Craft Paints (Stop Sign and Island Breeze)
Spellbinders® Creative Arts: Font One Uppercase and Make a Wish
SugarPea Designs: America The Beautiful
DoodleBug Designs Inc™: Patriotic Picnic Collection
JustRite PaperCraft: Extra Grand Sentiments Clear Stamps
Ranger Inks: Stickles (Red and Blue)
Faber-Castell® Design Memory Craft®: Texture Card #8
Others: Brayer; Tags; Sequins; Red, White and Blue Cardstock


1 comment:

LisaDV said...

Very cool tags!!