Monday, January 05, 2009

Happy (belated) New Year!!

Late as usual but hey, better late than never, right?!

Most of you know that hubby is in Japan helping out the Temple with new years services and ceremonies...he'll be back at the end of the week and the house will be back to normal! Let just say the house is a little too quiet...yes, even with two boys in the house, we now know who is the biggest noise-maker! LOL!!!

On new years day, a Japanese family typically celebrates with various dishes (OSECHI RYORI) in these stacked boxes - aren't they beautiful?! These dishes are made so they last for days (no frig in the "old days & all the shops were closed for a few days to celebrate new years). Each dish has a meaning (don't ask, I don't know them so I will have to google search and come back to you on those...).

Here's a picture I took of the box (can you believe we had one?!) while we were preparing the rest like handrolled sushi (more like my friends...they came over to teach me a little...LOL!!)...sorry it looks so bare.


It was nice to have friends over with their families to bring in 2009 together!

I hope that everyone has a wonderful and even better year...it was tough last year with the economy and all but we must be positive and move on!




So happy new year!!!

Edited to add some links to better explain the meaning behind each OSECHI dish HERE & HERE.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Hi Margie!! Happy New Year!!!

I need your help with something! :) Can you email me? I'm not sure of your current email address. Mine is MakingScrapbooks@comcast.net

thank you!!!!